Residence Permits and Residence Registration in Kiel

Residence permits in times of Corona

  • If you have a residence permit for Germany which will expire while you are abroad and you have not been able to return due to the pandemic, you should contact the Immigration Office in Kiel by e-mail
  • Keep in mind that even if your residence permit is valid for a longer time, if you stay outside of Germany for more than six months your residence permit will become invalid and you will need to apply for a new visa to reenter Germany. In some cases, if you are/were not able to return to Germany due to a travel ban, you may be able to apply for a Rückkehrberechtigung (permission to return) that allows you to re-enter Germany.


Registration in Kiel

All persons who move to Germany (citizens from the EU, the EEA AND all NON-EU citizens) must register with the residents' registration office in the city where they live within two weeks of arrival in Germany.

If you live in Kiel you can register your residence at the City Hall.

 The Kiel Residence Registration Office at the City Hall has open office hours at the following times:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 7:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.

Please note that due to current hygiene regulations, access to the waiting area is limited. Unfortunately, it is possible that at the end of office hours the queue will have to be terminated, so it pays to get there early.


Appointments can be made outside of open office hours through the City Hall's online registration service:
You can also make appointments at the city's district offices, e.g. in Hassee or Suchsdorf.

Here you will find the information and forms you need for registration: (German only)

Change of address within Germany

  • If you are already registered in Germany and have moved, a change of address can be done by sending all the required documents (registration form, Wohnungsgebergestätigung, copy of passport) to registration confirmation will be sent by mail.


If you do not live in Kiel, please contact your town offices to find out where and how to register.

Application for a Residence Permit

EU and EEA nationals

do not require a residence permit in Germany.

Nationals from other countries (Non-EU, Non-EEA)

must apply for an appointment with the local immigration office after registering at the City Hall in order to obtain a residence permit. However, in order to apply for an appointment at the immigration office, you must prove that you have either already registered your residence or that you already have an appointment to register your residence  at the City Hall in the town where you will be living, as the town you live in determines which immigration office will be responsible for you.
If you have already registered your residence or already have an appointment for registration at the City Hall in Kiel, you should also make an appointment at the Kiel Immigration Office by sending an email to In your email be sure to include your family name, your given name, your date of birth and the reason for the appointment.

The appointment invitation will be sent to your registered address. Make sure your name is clearly visible on the mailbox to ensure delivery of the appointment invitation.

Starting on March 8, 2021 all appointments at the Kiel Immigration Office will take place in the new offices, located at Stresemannplatz 5. The entrance is at the corner of Stresemannplatz and Kaistraße. If you live in a city other than Kiel, please inquire where the immigration office is and how you can arrange appointments there.
In general, you will need the following documents:

  • Completed confirmation of registration (Meldeschein) from the Einwohnermeldeamt / Bürgeramt (Residence Registration Office)
  • Proof of private or statutory health insurance
  • Proof of financing (a fellowship, work contract or blocked bank account, etc.)
  • Valid passport
  • Money for fees (ask your foreigners authority about the rates beforehand)

However, your immigration office will inform you - when you make the appointment - what you need to bring along in your case. After checking your documents, the immigration office will convert your visa into a residence permit. The residence permit is initially limited to one to two years or for the length of your work contract. If you plan to stay longer, you will have to extend your residence permit.

If you have any questions, please contact
Nancy Smith

Kiel University, Kiel and S-H

Research profil

International scientists

Further information