Residence Permits and Residence Registration in Kiel

Important Information during the Corona Pandemic

Concerning residence permits, work permits and visas

  • Residence permits/visas (and therefore also the corresponding work permits) that have expired in the Corona interim period (from about 17.03.2020) or will soon expire remain valid until an appointment can be made with the Immigration Department. This includes the 120-days work permit.
  • Persons with residence permits for Germany who are currently staying abroad and whose residence permit expires abroad can contact the Immigration Office in Kiel by e-mail in order to apply for a Rückkehrberechtigung (permission to return) that allows them to re-enter Germany.   
  • Appointments that were canceled during the closure of the Immigration Office in Kiel, do not need to be requested again. The Immigration Office will send out new appointment invitations to those, whose appointments were canceled.
  • Appointments that were scheduled for the period after the re-opening of the Immigration Office (from May on) do not need to be requested again. The Immigration Office will send you a new appointment invitation letter or a confirmation of your scheduled appointment.

Concerning residence registration for new arrivals and change of address requests at the Residence Registration Office:

  • As of August 1, 2020 the Registration Office has regular open office hours Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:30 am to 12:00 noon. You do not need an appointment to register.
  • The change of address can be done by post.The registration confirmation will be sent by mail.
  • Information and registration forms can be found on the website of the City of Kiel


Registration in Kiel

All persons who move to Germany (citizens from the EU, the EEA AND all NON-EU citizens) must register with the responsible residents' registration office in their city upon arrival in Germany. If you have an apartment in Kiel, you can register for an appointment via the following online portal:
Please note that you can only register here if you live in Kiel. You can register for an appointment in the main city hall as well as in the city hall branches in districts of Kiel.
Here you will find the information you need for registration: (German only)
If you do not live in Kiel, please contact your local authority to find out where and how to register.

We recommend that you register for an appointment before entering Germany, as soon as the German Embassy has approved your visa, or as soon as it is certain that you will travel to Kiel and live in Kiel.
Starting August 1, 2020, the residents' registration office of the city of Kiel will offer open office hours Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. We recommend getting there early to get an appointment for the day.


Application for a Residence Permit

EU and EEA nationals

do not require a residence permit in Germany.

Nationals from third countries (NON-EU)

must apply for an appointment with the responsible immigration office after entry and registration at the City Hall in order to obtain a residence permit. However, in order to apply for an appointment, you must prove that you already have an appointment to register at the relevant City Hall, as this determines which immigration office will be responsible for you.
If you have an appointment for registration at the City Hall in Kiel, you should also make an appointment at the Kiel Immigration Office by sending an email to In your email be sure to include your family name, your given name, your date of birth and the reason for the appointment.

The appointment invitation will be sent to your registered address. Make sure your name is on the mailbox to ensure delivery of the appointment invitation.

If you live in another city, please inquire where the responsible immigration office is and how you can arrange appointments there.
In general, you will need the following documents:

  • Completed confirmation of registration (Meldeschein) from the Einwohnermeldeamt / Bürgeramt (Residents' Registration Office)
  • Proof of private or statutory health insurance
  • Proof of financing (a fellowship, work contract or blocked bank account, etc.)
  • Valid passport
  • Money for fees (ask your foreigners authority about the rates beforehand)

However, your responsible immigration office will inform you - when you make the appointment - what you need to bring along in your case. After checking your documents, the immigration office will convert your visa into a "residence permit". The residence permit is initially limited to one to two years. If you plan to stay longer, you will have to extend your residence permit again.

If you have any questions, please contact
Nancy Smith

Kiel University, Kiel and S-H

Research profil

International scientists

Further information