Student services

Student services

CAU Card - Student ID Card -

 CAU Card

Functions of the CAU Card             FAQ´S

  • Once you have received your card: user card in the Central Library, for sports at the University Sports Centre, paying in the university canteens, and for photocopying and scanning
  • as student ID
    since January 2020 the CAU Card can no longer be used as a semester ticket!
    Instead, the statewide semester ticket will be used for the public transportation.
    Please activate the statewide semester ticket if you have not already done so.
    If you have any questions about this, please contact the AStA or NAH.SH:

    NAH SH:

The CAU Card is used for the entire duration of your studies at Kiel University.


After each successful re-registration, the CAU Card can be validated at one of the self-service terminals at the beginning of each semester.
At the same time, the validity as prepaid card for the Canteen is renewed.

When you insert your card into a self-service terminal, the terminal uses a thermo procedure to remove the old print on the gray strip on the bottom of the card and to print the new information about semester onto that strip.

Currently there are 7 stations installed at following sites:

  1. Tower building (CAP4) - foyer
  2. Canteen 1 - main entry
  3. Canteen 1 - main entry
  4. Canteen 2 - foyer
  5. Central library - foyer
  6. Canteen TF - printer room
  7. Library MF (Breiter Weg 10) - locker room

We recommend the use of a protective cover for the CAU Card.

You can get a new campus card in case of loss, damage or malfunction of your campus card.
Please send the completed application form     (download)       to my E-Mail address

Please note that the new card costs extra fee; I will inform you by E-Mail about the payment options.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Re-registration for international students at Kiel University

Re-registration for summer semester 2022
from 02.01. bis 28.02. 2022

The sole basis for re-registration is the timely payment of the semester fee in amount of 249,50 €  during the time period

                          02.01. bis 28.02. 2022

Attention!!! In order to re-register in time, the semester fee has to arrive at the bank account of the Studentenwerk on 28th of February at the latest.

Neither the bank transfer of the money on the last day of the re-registration period, nor the cash paying of the amount at the counter of the Studentenwerk or payment by debit card on the last day of the re-registration period is right in time!!

Note on cash payment, bank transfer or debit card payment:    

when paying, a booking period of approx. 3 working days must be expected.

The Fee includes the contribution of semester bus/train SH state wide ticket and also for the Student Services of Studentenwerk Schleswig Holstein.

Information concerning the Schleswig Holstein bus/train SH state wide semester ticket is given by AStA Kiel University

The Semester Fee in amount of € 249,50 € should be paid by wire transfer to the account of the Studentenwerk Schleswig Holstein.

Recipient: Studentenwerk SH-CAU-STUD
IBAN: DE 80 2105 0170 0025 0007 61
Institut: Förde Sparkasse (bank name)

Reference: as reference use only matriculation number  (number is written on the front side of welcome letter or student confirmation)

and SoSe 2022    ( Example   1020365  SoSe 2022   )

International wire transfers should be sent to:

Studentenwerk Schleswig Holstein

International Bank Account Number (IBAN): DE 80210501700025000761

Bank Identifier Code (BIC): NOLADE21KIE

Cash payment at the cash desk of the Studentenwerk is only possible during opening hours. (Please inform yourself about the opening hours in time)

Note on the new procedure from 01.12.2020:
After the re-registration deadline has expired, students who have not re-registered will immediately receive a de-registration letter.
It is then possible to transfer the semester fee within a set period of time and thus still complete the re-registration process.

The university refuses the re-registration:

  • if the obligation to contribute to the Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein and the student body was not fulfilled. The contribution must be received within the re-registration deadline on the bank account of the Studentenwerk;
  • if  there is no valid proof of the existence of health insurance or if the health insurance company invalidates the submitted insurance certificate;
  • when you have finished your course of study by passing the final exams;
  • if you have definitively failed a course-related examination, interim or final examination required by the examination regulations - unless the subject area or the degree program is changed.
  • if proof of the extension of the examination period is missing in the case of suspended courses of study.

           § 19 Registration Regulations (Rules) at Kiel University

After you have transferred the Semester Fee in a timely manner, and after the funds have been received, your new campus card could be validiated at the terminals. (you could check your status by using the campus management system)

As from now you can download your certificates of student status, certificates of study periods and BAföG certificates.You can also maintain your contact and address information online. To do so, please use your stu number (user ID) and your password (the same as the one for your stu-mail and QIS) to log on

To find the documents, you navigate through the menu as follows: „My Functions - Student Service - Reports“. Further information is provided on the homepage after you log into your account. Student certificates are created as PDF files and can be forwarded as an attachment.

All students will receive a reminder e-mail, sent through the stu-email address, to remind you on the timely payment of the semester fee and re-registration for summer semester 2022.
Our urgent recommendation to you is; note the Inbox of your mandatory Stu-Email account.

If you plan to submitted your Thesis in the winter semester 2021-2022 and are not sure whether you should / must re-register for the summer semester 2022:
Please contact your examinations office to clarify whether or not you need to re-register for the next semester.

Christian Albrechts Universität Kiel - International Center - Westring 400

D - 24118 Kiel







Change of contact details - Download of certificates of student status

How to change the contact details in the Campusmanagementsystem of Kiel University

  1. Log in the Campusmanagementsystem with your stu-number and your password
  2. Change the language to English at the bottom left corner
  3. At the top right click on “My functions – Service of studies”
  4. Choose “Contact data and documents”
  5. At the bottom click on edit
  6. Change your contact details
  7. Do not forget to save!

Download your certificates of student status, certificates of study periods and BaföG certificates:

as from now you can download your certificates of student status, certificates of study periods and BAföG certificates. You can also maintain your contact and address information online. To do so, please use your stu number (user ID) and your password (the same as the one for your stu-mail and QIS) to log on to:

To find the documents, you navigate through the menu as follows: „My Functions - Student Service - Reports“. Further information is provided on the homepage after you log into your account.

Please note:

This is the initial stage for these features. For technical reasons, the features may be deactivated for brief periods of time.

For technical support, please send an email to

For any other questions, please contact the Studierendenservice via

Yours sincerely   

Kiel University, Student Admission and Registry


Leave of absence from Kiel (Suspension of Studies) / University Notification of a pregnancy or nursing

It is possible to apply for and be granted a leave of absence from your studies if you can demonstrate that you have an especially important reason for doing so:

Especially important reasons include the following:

  • Illness: This requires that you provide a document from your doctor that shows that you are unable to participate in a regular course of study at the University.
  • Study Abroad
  • Military or Civilian Service
  • during pregnancy / child delivery / care of a child
  • Research project

    Application form


A leave of absence is normally granted for the duration of one semester.



It is not possible to be granted a leave of absence for the first semester of study or for the first semester of enrolment at Kiel University.


  • Pregnancy / Maternity Leave

     due to new Maternity protection act from 1st of January 2018 please note the
      following information
      please use these
      new application form
     and take note on following  
      Declaration of consent to performance/event participation

Students granted a leave of absence must pay the semester fee in amount of € 249,50 € for summer semester 2022.

Applications for leave of absence must be submitted for one semester up to the start of lectures of the respective semester. During the current semester, a leave of absence can exceptionally be applied for within two months after the start of lectures if an important reason has only arisen within this period.

§20 der Einschreibordnung der Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
§40 des Hochschulgesetzes

Exmatriculation - officially ending your enrolment

The formalities involved in ending your enrolment at the University should normally be taken care of in person during office hours.

During the lecture period the office hours are:

Thursday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. as well as from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday.

During the semester break the office hours are:

Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Please bring the following documents for your exmatriculation:

  • Application for Exmatriculation (Official Conclusion of Studies)(also available in the information room of the International Center, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and Monday through Thursday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.)

You are going to receive your Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung (certificate of conclusion of enrolment) and your Rentenbescheinigung (certificate of public retirement insurance) on the spot.

Application form for exmatriculation (official conclusion of studies)

It is also possible to drop off the documents for Exmatrikulation – the Antrag (application) at the information room of the International Center in a self-addressed, stamped envelope, or, likewise, to send these to the International Center by mail. You will then receive your certificates, the Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung and the Rentenbescheinigung, by mail.

Instructions and Request for a Refund of the Semesterticket fee   
Instructions_Refund  (only in German Language)

Request for a Refund

Changing your major subject at Kiel University

Students who are already enroled in a particular field of study at Kiel University can change their major subject or their degree sought prior to the beginning of each semester. You must observe the application deadlines.

Guy from Cameroon: "The International Center aids me in many circumstances."

We recommend that you speak to the academic advisors of the subject(s) you wish to transfer into for the coming semester. Make an appointment for a thorough consultation.

Academic credit deriving from your previous studies may be granted by the Prüfungsamt, the academic testing office, of the subject of your choice. You must see to this yourself. You will receive a certificate of credit transfer, known as an Anrechnungsschreiben, which you should submit, together with your Antrag auf Fachwechsel, the application for change of academic major, to the International Center before the applicable deadline. You may submit these documents in person or by regular mail.

Students who will be completing their particular course of study in the present semester, and who would like to continue their studies in a new subject or work toward a different degree in the coming semester, should submit an Antrag auf Fachwechsel as previously described.

Please observe:


Students of Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacology who are EU citizens may only apply via Hochschulstart (only German).


Guest auditor status


Applications for guest auditor status must be submitted no later than four weeks after the beginning of the lecture period of each semester.

Anjuta from the Ukraine: "Our academics at Kiel University enjoy a good reputation."


According to government rules on fees effective as of 11th August, 2004 (NBl. MBWFK Schl.-H-2004 of 4th October, 2001, p. 307), individuals who attend courses offered by the University as guest auditors must pay a fee of €100 each semester. Individuals receiving state financial assistance may apply for permission to pay a reduced fee of €20.

The relevant application form is available at the International Center and can be downloaded here. Once your status has been approved and the paperwork has been processed, your guest auditor ID will be returned to you.

Applying for Guest Auditor Status (only German)

Guest auditor status is regulated as follows by §22 of the Enrolment Policy of Kiel University:

  • Applicants wishing to further their education by attending courses at the University may apply for permission from the relevant faculty to attend courses as guest auditors for one semester at a time. The course instructor must also give his or her consent to the guest auditor’s participation in a given course.
  • The needs of regular students in the course of their studies have priority over the interests of guest auditors, and may not be negatively impacted by these. In courses of study with limited enrolment, guest auditors may attend Vorlesungen (lectures); for enrolment in Praktika (internships) and Übungen (practical classes other than lectures), regular students have priority over guest auditors.
  • Academic credit and duration of enrolment as a guest auditor may be granted as provided for under the applicable official degree requirements.
  • All applications for guest auditor status should be accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope in which your guest auditor certificate can be mailed to you.
  • The University course catalogue can be acquired at a local bookstore or via the publisher, G. Mühlau GmbH & Co KG, 24105 Kiel.

Dual enrolment

Individuals enroled in a degree programme at another university can be admitted as Zweithörer, i.e. as dual auditors, if under current law (§ 38 Abs. 4 Satz 2 HSG) the policies of the other institution allow its students to enroll at other institutions. This applies students of the University of Hamburg and of University of Applied Sciences Kiel who wish to attend courses as provided for by the cooperation agreement (information) cooperation agreement  FH Kiel (only German).

Marta from Italy: "We study where others spend their holidays."

Application Deadlines: Applications must have been received no later than four weeks after the beginning of the relevant semester.

Fees: No fees apply.

Application Form: You may download the relevant application form

Legal: § 25 of the Einschreibordnung, the enrolment policy, of Kiel University

Accident insurance / reporting an accident

Accident insurance / reporting an accident

Students who are enrolled at the university are generally covered by an accident insurance policy


  • during attendance at lectures, seminars and courses at the university
  • on the direct routes to and from the university
  • when attending study-related events such as courses, university revision courses or laboratory practicals
  • on excursions and study trips that fall under the organisational responsibility of the institution of higher education
  • during study-related research and individual activities that fall within the organisational area of responsibility of the university
  • during university sports activities
  • during pratic activities in the context of diploma and doctoral theses, which are carried out within the university's spatial and organisational area of responsibility
  • during visits to the university libraries

reporting an accident:

The report to the CAU should be made immediately after medical care has been received by e-mail.

Please use the form of the Unfallkasse Nord     ("Unfallanzeige für Kinder in Tageseinrichtungen, Schüler und Studierende") for the report.

International students please report the accident using the form at the International Center, all others at the Student Services.

The CAU will then forward the reports to the Unfallkasse Nord.

STU Account

After succesful enrolment Students have received the stu-account:
(find it on your welcome document)


Kiel University uses this email in order to share very important information, such as dates for exam registration, examinations, or advices for re-registration (payment of semester fee) for each semester.


For all of you, it is mandatory to activate the stu-account, otherwise you will miss this important information!


Instructions from the Kiel University`s data center:


By using the campus management system you can can observe your student status at any time. Here you can change your personal data and download any student confirmation as pdf document.

To do so, log in to:


Please use your stu-number ( and your password (the same as the one for your stu-mail and QIS).


To find the documents, you navigate through the menu as follows: „My Functions - Student Service - Reports“.

Change of contact details - Download of certificates


TUTORIAL  to watch and to listen to



Semester Calendar



                                       SoSe 2021 **)     WiSe 2021/22                           

Semester Start              01.04.2021             01.10.2021        

Semester End               30.09.2021             31.03.2022        

Lecture Start                 06.04.2021             18.10.2021       

New                               bzw. 19.4.2021**)

End of Lecture Period *)    09.07.2021        22.02.2022        

Lecture free time                                             23.12.2021-07.01.2022                                                                                       

2. Examination Period         29.03.-17.04.2021      04.10.-23.10.2021          

of the pre-semester (for Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes)                                              

1. Examination Period    15.02.- 06.03.2021      02.08.-.08.2021                        

of the current semester (for Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes)                                                 

*)  In accordance with the CAU examination regulations, there are no courses in Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes during the examination periods.                

**) In the summer semester 2021, the lecture period begins with a two-week overlap with the second examination period of the winter semester for Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes. Therefore, the courses for these degree programmes will not start until 19.4.2021.   

 At the end of the lecture period of the summer semester 2021, there is no overlap with examination periods, so that the end of the lecture period corresponds to the date mentioned above (9.7.2021).                                                                                   

Attention: Some faculties/institutes offer different periods.    

Further information on the Corona website as well as on the central information pages of the examination administration.