Work permit for international students

European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) nationals have the same status on the job market as Germans. You are allowed to work as much as you wish without a permit. However, you should remember that you should not work for more than 20 hours a week during the semester (the same applies to German students). Otherwise you will be required to pay pension insurance contributions. Furthermore, you wouldn't have enough time for your studies.

Do you come from another country?

Then you are permitted to work only 120 full or 240 half days per calendar year. If you wish to work more, you need a permit from the local Immigration Office. Whether or not you are granted a permit depends on the employment situation in your university town. You will have less chance of obtaining a permit for more working days in regions with a high level of unemployment.

Important to know:

  • You may exceed the 120-day limit if you work at your university as a student or graduate assistant. However, even in this case, you must inform the Immigration Office.
  • You are not permitted to work in a self-employed or free-lance capacity. If you are unsure about what kind of job you have been offered, consult the International Center.
  • Regulations are particularly strict for participants of language courses or "Studienkolleg" students: You may only work in lecture-free periods.

It is essential that you comply with labour laws for international students. You may be expelled from Germany if you break these laws. The International Center will be glad to advise you.


You will not be able to finance yourself entirely by working part-time while studying. And it is not easy finding a part-time job in Kiel, especially with a low command of German language.

More information

More information can be found on the website of the DGB... (German only)